Last places are available for our MUST PhD workshop ‘Participatory Knowledge Development’. See the PhD course page for more information.
On December 4th at 10:00, Carijn Beumer will defend her PhD thesis ‘Stepping Stone Cities? Exploring Urban Greening and Gardening as a Viable Contribution to Global Biodiversity Conservation’, in the Aula of Maastricht University.
4 December 10:00
Aula Minderbroedersberg 4-6
November 27, the second symposium on Knowledge Exchange on Sustainability Research at Maastricht University will take place. It is organised by the School of Business and Economics, ICIS and the Maastricht University Green Office. More information:
[Dutch] Bijzondere Leerstoel Filosofie van duurzame ontwikkeling, vanuit een humanistisch perspectief
De humanistische stichting Socrates roept op tot de vervulling van de post van bijzonder hoogleraar bij de Universiteit Maastricht op het gebied van ‘Filosofie van duurzame ontwikkeling, vanuit een humanistisch perspectief’. Deze Socrates-leerstoel is gesitueerd bij het International Centre for Integrated assessment and Sustainable development (ICIS) binnen de Faculty of Humanities and Sciences (FHS) van de Universiteit Maastricht.
Voor meer informatie, zie de vacature op onze website.
During the Master’s Open Day, guests informed themselves on the Master Sustainability Science and Policy and talked to staff and students. Though this Master’s Open Day already took place, consider attending the next Master’s Open Day on Saturday March 7 2015.
From September 10-12, the international Urb@Exp research project held a kick-off meeting with all partners at the International Centre for integrated assessment and Sustainable development of Maastricht University. Urb@Exp received funding for 3 years from the Joint Programming Initiative Urban Europe and establishes an intense collaboration between Maastricht University, Lund University, Malmö University and Graz University, city partners from Maastricht, Antwerp, Malmö, Graz and Leoben, and the consultancy Pantopicon.
Under the leadership of Prof. René Kemp from Maastricht University, the project will examine urban experiments with ongoing living and city labs to evaluate, conceptualize and improve new forms of urban governance and city development. Dr. Christian Scholl (ICIS) coordinates the project on behalf of the consortium. Dr. Joop de Kraker and Dr. Ron Cörvers (both ICIS) are also participants in the project.
During the meeting all partners discussed the research agenda and presented their contribution to the project. Upon arrival, they received a warm reception by the Alderman in the Town Hall of Maastricht. The next Urb@Exp meeting will take place in Malmö in March 2015. Soon, a website will inform all interested scholars and urban practitioners on the process and the results of this project.
The Winter School on Oil & Gas (9-18 July 2014, Maputo, Mozambique) was a joint initiative between Universidade Eduardo Mondlane and Maastricht University and financed by NUFFIC. The Winter School adopted a multidisciplinary approach, focusing on the exploration and production of oil and gas in Mozambique. There was ample of attention to the technical aspects of the gas finds, but the impact of gas exploitation on the country’s social and economic development, its legal framework and human capital was also part of the program. Annemarie van Zeijl-Rozema and Astrid Offermans contributed to this Winter School by developing and organizing a course entitled “System analysis – Knowledge and action in Mozambique: a multi-stakeholder perspective”. The emphasis was on recognizing and identifying different perspectives on (problems related to) oil and gas in Mozambique and to develop a multi-stakeholder process design to analyze and solve identified problems while considering a plurality of viable perspectives and knowledge sources.
Subscribe to the ICIS newsletter
- Akin, S & Martens, P. (2014) "A survey of Dutch expert opinion on climatic drivers of infectious disease risk in Western Europe" Climate 2014, 2(4), 310-328; DOI: 10.3390/cli2040310
- Dijk, M., R. Orsato and R. Kemp (2014). "Towards a regime-based typology of market evolution", Technol. Forecast. Soc. Change, DOI: 10.1016/j.techfore.2014.10.002
- Dijk, M. & Parkhurst, G. (2014). "Understanding the mobility-transformative qualities of urban park and ride polices in the UK and the Netherlands", International Journal of Automotive Technology and Management Vol. 14 (3/4), pp.246 – 270, DOI: 10.1504/IJATM.2014.065292
- Scholl, C., (2014) "The New Social Movement Approach", In: van der Heijden, H., "Handbook Of Political Citizenship And Social Movements" (pp 233-258), Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, ISBN 978 1 78195 470 6.
- Beumer, C. & Martens, P. (2014) "Biodiversity in my (back)yard: towards a framework for citizen engagement in exploring biodiversity and ecosystem services in residential gardens", Sustainability Science, DOI 10.1007/s11625-014-0270-8
- Dijk, M. (2014). "A socio-technical perspective on the electrification of the automobile: niche and regime interaction", Int. J. Automotive Technology and Management 14 (2): 158-171. DOI: 10.1504/IJATM.2014.060749
- Martens, P., Caselli, M, De Lombaerde, P., Figge, L. and Scholte, J.A. (2014) "New Directions in Globalization Indices", Globalizations, DOI: 10.1080/14747731.2014.944336
- Horlings, L.G. & Hinssen, J.P.P. (2014) "Sustainable innovation in intensive animal husbandry; policy and public protests towards a mega-farm in the Netherlands", ESSACHESS. Journal for Communication Studies, vol. 7, no. 1(13) / 2014: 125-145
- Derkx, B., P. Glasbergen (2014) "Elaborating global private meta-governance: An inventory in the realm of voluntary sustainability standards", Global Environmental Change 27, 41–50, DOI: 10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2014.04.016
- Pesqueira, L., P. Glasbergen (2014) "How Sustainability Partnerships Manage Complex Societal Issues: The Case of Child Labor in the Cocoa Sector", In: Bohórguez, E., N. Etxaniz (eds) A new generation of public control, Transparencia Mexicana, pp 125-136
- Abson, D.J., H. von Wehrden, S. Baumgärtner, J. Fischer, J. Hanspach, W. Härdtle, H. Heinrichs, A.M. Klein, D.J. Lang, P. Martens and D. Walmsley (2014) "Ecosystem services as a boundary object for sustainability", Ecological Economics 103, 29–37
- Font Vivanco, D., Kemp, R., van der Voet, E., Heijungs, R. (2014) "Using LCA-based decomposition analysis to study the multi-dimensional contribution of technological innovation to environmental pressures", Journal of Industrial Ecology. DOI: 10.1111/jiec.12118
- Nie, H., Kemp, R. (2014) "Index decomposition analysis of residential energy consumption in China: 2002-2010", Applied Energy, 121: 10–19
- Figge, L., & Martens, P. (2014) "Globalisation Continues: The Maastricht Globalisation Index Revisited and Updated", Globalizations Vol. 11 Iss: 2, DOI:10.1080/14747731.2014.887389
- Peeters, M., Uylenburg, R. (2014) "EU Environmental Legislation, Legal Perspectives on Regulatory Strategies", ISBN: 9781781954768, DOI:10.4337/9781781954775
- De Kraker, J., Kuijs, S., Cörvers, R., Offermans, A. (2014) "Internet public opinion on climate change: a world views analysis of online reader comments", International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management, Vol. 6 Iss: 1, pp.19 - 33, DOI: 10.1108/IJCCSM-09-2013-0109
- Ridderstaat, J., Oduber, M., Croes, R., Nijkamp, P. & Martens, P. (2014). Impacts of seasonal patterns of climate on recurrent fluctuations in tourism demand: Evidence from Aruba. Tourism Management, 41, 245-245.
- Glasbergen, P. (2013) "Legitimation of Certifying Partnerships in the Global Market Place", Environmental Policy & Governance 23, 354–367, DOI: 10.1002/eet.1625
- Bitzer, V., Glasbergen, P. and Arts, B., 2013. Exploring the potential of intersectoral partnerships to improve the position of farmers in global agrifood chains: findings from the coffee sector in Peru, Agriculture and Human Values, 30: 5-20.
- Blohmke, J. Ndichu, J., Kemp, R., Adeoti, J.O., and Obayelu, A.E. (2013) Renewabe energy technology adoption in developing countries and how technology suppliers can strengthen fragmented innovation systems, Économie Appliquée 66(4): 167-193.
- Bocken, Nancy, Margarida Farracho, Rosie Bosworth and René Kemp (2013) The front-end of eco-innovation for eco-innovative small and medium sized companies, The International Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 31: 43–57
- Bos, C, A. Peine and H. van Lente (2013), Articulation of Sustainability in Nanotechnology: Funnels of Articulation, in Konrad, K., C. Coenen, C. , A. Dijkstra, C. Milburn and H. van Lente (Eds), Shaping Emerging Technologies: Governance, Innovation, Discourse. Heidelber: AKA Verlag. 231-242
- Dijk, M., Orsato, R.J. and Kemp, R. (2013) ‘The emergence of an electric mobility trajectory, Energy Policy, Vol. 52: 135-145
- Glasbergen, P, 2013, Legitimation of certifying partnerships in the global market place, Environmental Policy and Governance, 23: 354-367. DOI: 10.1002/eet.1625
- Keune, H., Kretsch,C., De Blust, G., Gilbert, M., Flandroy, L., Van den Berge, K., Versteirt, V., Hartig, T., De Keersmaecker, L., Eggermont, H., Brosens, D., Dessein, J., Vanwambeke, S., Prieur-Richard, A.H., Wittmer, H., Van Herzele, A., Linard, C., Martens, P., Mathijs, E., Simoens, I., Van Damme, P., Volckaert, F., Heyman, P. and Bauler, T. (2013). Science–policy challenges for biodiversity, public health and urbanization: examples from Belgium. Environmental Research Letters, 8, 025015 doi:10.1088/1748-9326/8/2/025015
- Kemp, R., van Lente, H. (2013) The Dual Challenge of Sustainability Transitions: Different Trajectories and Criteria, in M. J. Cohen, H. Szejnwald Brown and Ph.J. Vergragt (eds.) Innovations in Sustainable Consumption. New Economics, Sociotechnical Transitions and Social Practices, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham UK / Northhampton, US, pp. 115-132.
- Konrad, K., C. Coenen, C. , A. Dijkstra, C. Milburn and H. van Lente (Eds) (2013), Shaping Emerging Technologies: Governance, Innovation, Discourse. Heidelber: AKA Verlag. ISBN 978-3-89838-685-2
- Kraker, J. de, Cörvers, R., Valkering, P., Hermans, M. & Rikers, J. (2013). Learning for sustainable regional development: towards learning networks 2.0? Journal of Cleaner Production, 49, 114-122.
- Lente, H. van, A. Peine and C. Spitters (2013), Comparing technological hype cycles: Towards a theory, Technological Forecasting & Social Change, Vol 80(8), 1615–1628.